In 2007 I switched to the ‘other side’, leaving journalism to work in communications about development and human rights. Today I have a foot in both worlds — freelancing for publications like Nepali Times and the Globe and Mail, while writing, editing and managing digital channels for organisations like NCD Alliance and UN Women, Liberia.
My international communications roles include Spokesperson for the United Nations human rights office in Nepal (now closed) and Communications Specialist at the UNICEF regional office and country office in Nepal. I’ve managed communications and digital channels for three NGOS dedicated to public health: NCD Alliance, a global network of groups dedicated to addressing non-communicable diseases; Framework Convention Alliance, another alliance, focused on international tobacco control and HealthBridge Foundation, which works on health and development globally.
During this period I’ve enhanced my skills in some areas and learned new ones. Read more below. For further info or to discuss possible collaboration, please email me.
I co-created and managed FCA’s Twitter and Facebook channels until December 2016.
From October 2017 till February 2018 I created most of the news articles on the NCD Alliance website. Some of it I drafted myself; some was drafted by others and edited by me, and some was from other sources and curated by me. Until mid-2017 I was responsible for all of the content on the HealthBridge website.
I drafted the weekly e-newsletter for NCD Alliance from November 2018 until 2019.
- Non-communicable diseases in rural Nepal, 2018
- Malnutrition in Nepal, 2017
- Minors discharged from Nepal’s Maoist cantonments, 2010
- Indigenous People’s land rights, Malaysia, 2001
I created, from start to finish, this video published as part of a feature by Nepali Times. The one on this page was filmed by a colleague, and co-edited by myself. I did all the work on this series of interviews while working at Framework Convention Alliance – from filming to editing to publishing online.
All of the photos on this site were taken by me, unless credited to others. A few of my Nepal pictures are on this page.
I had a long-term agreement (LTA) as a Development Writer / Editor with the UNDP’s Bureau of Development Policy from 2014 to 2018. Publications that I worked on include this monograph for UNDP Singapore, this study on voting from abroad in Latin America and this annual report for UNDP’s HIV, Health and Development office. Since May 2019 I’ve had a similar agreement, as Content Editor, with UN Women Liberia.
I oversaw the redesign of the HealthBridge website, which I managed on a daily basis, using a content management system called Expression Engine. I’ve also worked extensively with the Joomla CMS and WordPress.
The NCD Alliance website uses the Drupal content management system. I worked extensively with this CMS from September 2017 until February 2019.
As a former journalist I have an advanced understanding of the media. Below is a selection of content I developed for media.
From 2010 to 2016 I created the communications strategy for Framework Convention Alliance, a global umbrella group of NGOs dedicated to international tobacco control. During that time the strategy evolved to stress:
- More effective communication with its global membership. After ‘unplugging’ an intranet that was not being used by members, we created an electronic newsletter; started a monthly calendar of events that also recognised the accomplishments of members and began encouraging their submissions for publication on the FCA website.
- An online presence. Working with a capped budget, I drafted a social media strategy and started Twitter, Facebook and Youtube channels. We also accomplished a ‘facelift’ of the FCA website.
- Collaboration. Recognising that our resources were limited, we reached out for — and offered in turn — communications support from our members and partners in civil society and international organisations, including the World Health Organization.